Intestinal worms can appear in humans in different ways. The most common routes of infection are contact with an infected animal or consumption of improperly processed food. No one is immune to the infection. Helminthic invasion (damage to the body by duct tape, round and flat worms) leads to health problems and, in some cases, serious complications. The problem must be tackled.
Modern medicines allow you to remove the worms from the small intestine and large intestine to stop their negative effect on the gastrointestinal tract. It is very important to know how you can try to protect yourself from infections.
Causes of helminthic invasion
The agents causing the invasion are worms that live in the intestines, which can be of various types. They enter the body and, over time, intestinal parasites become more and more. These organisms take root in the human body, multiply in it and feed on substances that enter the body. Due to their failure, a person may receive less important nutrients: proteins, fats and carbohydrates, trace elements, vitamins. During the invasion, the pathogens move from the larval stage to the grown worms, seriously affecting the state of the body. Parasites live in the human intestine for a long time and do not disappear without therapy.
You can be infected with worms in the following ways:
- Through food.Worms are often found on the surface of unwashed fruits and vegetables. Some types of parasites (bovine and porcine tapeworms) leave larvae in the meat. If it is not fried, the larvae will go to the human body and begin to develop in it.
- Form of domestic contact.Touching door handles in public places, handrails and other elements without observing hygiene skills, a person is at risk of being invaded. The contact method involves catching the disease by shaking hands with an infected person, and the domestic method is infection through dirty dishes or other household items.
- Via pets.Certain types of parasites in the rectum use four-legged friends as intermediate hosts. Larvae are transmitted by contact with the animal. This can happen when hugging, with an unexpected "kiss". A dog can bring roundworm eggs to its paws by collecting them from the ground.
In the case of parasites in the intestines, the symptoms and causes of the disease may be different. The main reason for the onset of the infection is poor hygiene. With proper personal care, regular hand washing and handling fresh food, the risk of infection is drastically reduced.
Types of worms
What parasites live in the intestines? The body is infected not by one or two, but by several different types of worms. They can coexist in the intestine at the same time, but more often the worms in humans are found separately.
The main classification of worms is by appearance. The parasites are intestinal, the symptoms are similar.
Important!Only a doctor can determine what type of worm has affected the gastrointestinal tract. You cannot try to define the disease yourself.
There are three main types of worms:
- are round.
The tapeworms in the intestines are distinguished by a segmented body and a semiplane shape, which is why the helminths received this name (see photo). Round parasites in the human gut seem the closest to a standard earthworm. They are translucent, with a white or colorless body through which the main vessel passes. The flatworms are generally oval in shape, occasionally slightly segmented. The length of any type can be 10 mm to 10 meters. There are many different parasites in the small intestine, some of which are much smaller.
Experts identify more than 10 types of helminthic invasion, which are based on various pathogens. The most common type is ascariasis, that is, infection by worms 15 to 40 cm in length with characteristic abdominal pain and intoxication. But there are other options:
- Trichocephaly.The causative agent is whipworm. Vlasoglav is one of the most versatile worms. It penetrates the cecum and the large and small intestines. The main symptoms are dizziness, vomiting, nausea and other signs of worms and intoxication. Parasites that live in the small intestine are easily removed by drugs.
- Teniarinhoz.This is the development of bovine tapeworm in the human body. This worm is transmitted through meat products and large domestic animals. As a result, there is constant intoxication of the body and pain in the abdominal cavity.
- Metagonimosis.One of the most dangerous forms of parasites in the human intestine, which requires urgent removal. It is caused by worms, which can cause intestinal inflammation. The infection occurs through untreated fish.
- Trichinellosis.The most severe form, leading to the death of the patient with prolonged absence of therapy. The causative agent, trichinella, can penetrate the internal organs from the intestines and seriously interrupt their work. Due to the increased activity of the parasite, the pain is felt not only in the abdomen, but also in the muscles. As an allergic reaction, conjunctivitis begins.
There are more than a dozen variations of worms and the groups of diseases they cause - 10. It is difficult to distinguish one from the other, even for specialists, so you should not make a diagnosis yourself. This will only lead to inappropriate therapy and an increase in negative symptoms. Only a highly qualified physician with special equipment can correctly recognize the type of helminths, as intestinal parasites have similar symptoms (teniarcosis and tricocephalosis are difficult to distinguish).
Consequences of helminthic invasion
With a long absence of treatment, several complications are possible. Kidneys, bile ducts and some internal organs are affected. Even the heart and brain are at risk if symptoms are not noticed in time with dangerous parasites in the intestines.
Pay attention!If you suspect a serious helminthic invasion with damage to internal organs, an appeal to a specialist should be prompt. The parasite can be fatal at any time if the case is neglected. Symptoms and treatment should be monitored by a doctor.
The main complication of advanced helminthic invasion is withdrawal symptoms. This is a state of constant poisoning. The patient feels weak, cannot be active, suffers from vomiting and dizziness. These signs will disappear only with the complete removal of the parasite from the body.
During the search, other consequences of the infection were also identified:
- the skin becomes significantly thinner, is covered by viral growths (papillomas), takes on an unhealthy hue;
- due to the development of vitamin deficiency, hair, nails become thinner and break, bones become more fragile;
- the person feels constant drowsiness;
- due to changes in the nervous system, the infected person may become more aggressive;
- In severe cases, the invasion is fatal.
Death is likely if the problem is ignored for several years. During this time, helminths have time to grow to a significant size and begin to actively eat nutrients, almost completely taking them away from humans.
Symptoms of the invasion
The helminthic invasion manifests itself in the early stages of development. The longer the parasite is in development, the more pronounced are the symptoms of worms in humans.
There are several nonspecific signs that do not distinguish the invasion from other diseases. The symptoms of parasites in the intestines are many. The most common are as follows:
- nausea; vomiting;
- feeling tired;
- loss of consciousness;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- rectal inflammation;
A specific symptom that is rare in other diseases is intermittent abdominal pain. It "walks" through the intestines, while stabbing in several places at the same time. The reason is the movement and activity of the parasites. Intestinal parasites show symptoms of intoxication or intoxication, which makes it difficult to diagnose the disease.
Diagnosis of disease
The disease, in the first place, must be distinguished from similar gastrointestinal problems. It is necessary to distinguish it from usual poisoning, infection, appendicitis. Differentiation occurs based on the data obtained in the anamnesis. For more accurate results, it is recommended to make additional checks on the type of worm.
How do I know if there are parasites? You can find the exact type of parasite using stool analysis. Parasites that live in the human large intestine secrete eggs, which are released with feces. In it, experts find helminth eggs and determine what type of parasite they belong to. Based on the data obtained, the treatment is carried out.
Tip:go to a specialist with a ready stool analysis and, to maximize the speed of the procedure, request a check-up at a paid medical center. This will allow you to discover your diagnosis as early as possible and find out if there are worms.
At diagnosis, anamnesis is performed, irrigoscopy and palpation of the abdominal region is performed. The latter allows to assess the degree of damage to the body. In case of serious deviations, a person can be referred for further tests. There they will discover how dangerous the damage to internal organs is and whether it is present. Then, a therapy is prescribed whose main function is to clean the intestine at home. You can also determine the diagnosis with a colonoscopy of the abdomen.
How to remove parasites? You need to clean your intestines at home. The infection is treated by killing the parasites. To fight them, specialized preparations for parasites are used.
The choice of a drug for parasites in the intestines should be based on the type of worm. Most medications are complex pills, meaning they allow you to fight ascaris, flatworms and tapeworms. Medicines work in slightly different ways.
Terms to get rid of worms
A course of medication usually requires only a day or two to fully recover the body. Many anthelmintic drugs are sufficient to be used once, at most - twice.
But this rule only applies to specialized medicines, after which the symptoms of worms in an adult disappear almost instantly. Dietary supplements are taken at different intervals.
Dietary supplements are effective when taken for about a month. The ideal duration of the course is one and a half months. After that, a break of at least two months is made, if necessary, after that period, the medicine is taken again.
Both biologically active additives and specialized drugs can be used repeatedly, but when using them again, consult a doctor. Treatment for parasites with folk remedies is not recommended.
Worm infestation is easy to avoid with simple hygiene practices. First, experts recommend limiting contact with untested animals and improving food hygiene. Any vegetables, fruits, herbs and other products must be washed. On its surface, there may be helminth larvae invisible to the human eye. When frying, the meat should be left in a ready state, while eliminating possible parasites.
It is important to follow the basic rules of personal hygiene:
- the brush used to clean the teeth must be separated for each one;
- the same goes for body towels;
- after eating, the dishes for you or your family should be washed;
- cannot eat from someone else's dirty plate;
- Hands should be washed after leaving home, handling pets and before eating.
Compliance with the basic rules will allow you to forget about the invasion problem forever. As a guarantee of health, prophylactic formulations can be taken. Before purchasing a herbal dietary supplement, which will provide constant protection to the body, it is necessary to consult your doctor.
Cleaning the worms' intestines is an extremely important procedure for the patient's health and well-being. People who have parasites in their bodies are unable to live fully.
It is also useful for cleaning the body for preventive purposes: it also allows you to remove toxins using cleansing techniques. With timely therapy, helminthic invasion is not dangerous.